Monday, March 14, 2022

cxciv. KENEALLY, Mike: Hi

cxciv. KENEALLY, Mike (1961-       )

Hi (2001)
MK, acoustic guitar
(2:53)


from Wooden Smoke.


This is my sixth MK post (xl, lxxvi, cxxxv, cliv, clxix) ... I could devote a whole blog to his music -- he is one of most interesting and original musical figures of our time -- constantly on the hunt for something new, something magical, something transcendent.

This double-album from the turn of the century features Mike going acoustic. Let's hear it from him:

"So this is the album where I asked myself politely to calm down, and I wrote a set of music on my living room floor with sock feet and pajamas on ... things were slowly stabilizing after a lengthy personal period of chaos and like many hippies before me, I turned to the acoustic guitar as a means of soul balmership.

I set a general rule/intentional limitation for this of material: with a couple of exceptions, the songs on this record would contain only two or three sections each. Instead of careening down endless musical avenues and building a really oddly-shaped song-structure in the process, as I'm wont to do, I wanted to keep these pieces really concise. It was kind of Zen-inspired I suppose, and also I was meditating, and working on getting more out of simpler things."

**

This track is actually from the second disc, entitled Wooden Smoke Asleep, under a sub-heading Bob Sleep.

Just Mike and his sonorous Taylor guitar, with some multi-tracked vocals coming in for the last three seconds!

No comments:

Post a Comment

cmlxxxix. MARTIN, Joe: A Dream

 cmlxxxix. MARTIN, Joe (1970-       ) A Dream (2009) JM, bass Chris Potter, tenor saxophone Brad Mehldau, piano Marcus Gilmore, drums (9:19)