Wednesday, January 26, 2022

cxlvii. McCARTNEY, Paul: Fuh You

cxlvii. McCARTNEY, Paul (1942-       )

Fuh You (2018)
PM, vocals, bass, keyboards
Ryan Tedder, backing vocals
David Angell, violin
Alicia Enstrom, violin
Betsy Lamb, viola
Paul Nelson, cello
Jack Jezzro, bass
(4:08)



I'm pretty sure that I Want To Hold Your Hand was the first Non-Classical song I ever heard! I was nine-years-old, but I think -- even then -- I had a suspicion that the singers wanted something more than just holding hands.

Almost 50 years later, I guess Paul felt he could get more explicit.

**

Co-written with Tedder, Paul had sung "I just wanna shag you" in the chorus as a joke, during rehearsals. It quickly morphed into its present shape ...

Notice how the chorus moves into longer note values, setting a nice contrast between the verses. The "C" section with strings is beautifully composed, as the kid skips off the curb, ala Gene Kelly.



































Great video! No one is ever seen lip-syncing both words of the song title ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

cmlxxxix. MARTIN, Joe: A Dream

 cmlxxxix. MARTIN, Joe (1970-       ) A Dream (2009) JM, bass Chris Potter, tenor saxophone Brad Mehldau, piano Marcus Gilmore, drums (9:19)