Thursday, January 27, 2022

cxlviii. GRATEFUL DEAD: Uncle John's Band

cxlviii. GRATEFUL DEAD

Uncle John's Band (1970)
Jerry Garcia, guitars, vocals
Bob Weir, guitar, vocals
Pigpen (Ron McKernan), keyboards, harmonica, vocals
Phil Lesh, bass, vocals
Bill Kreutzmann, drums, percussion
Mickey Hart, drums, percussion
(4:46)



It was 1971. It was Paris. It was Room 44 at Reid Hall.

I didn't know any of their previous four albums; nor did I know that this one represented a huge stylistic change from those earlier psychedelic-tinged releases.

I just knew that the harmonies and the lyrics hit me in a way that no other Non-Classical music had ever done since I first heard The Beatles in 1963.













Then this phrase always seemed blazing:






And finally these eight bars of a capella truly blew my mind:



No comments:

Post a Comment

cmlxxxix. MARTIN, Joe: A Dream

 cmlxxxix. MARTIN, Joe (1970-       ) A Dream (2009) JM, bass Chris Potter, tenor saxophone Brad Mehldau, piano Marcus Gilmore, drums (9:19)