Thursday, December 2, 2021

xcii. ALABAMA 3: Woke Up This Morning

xcii. ALABAMA 3

Woke Up This Morning (1997)
Larry Love, vocals
The Very Reverend Dr. D. Wayne Love (First Minister of the First Presleyterian Church of Elvis the Divine [UK]), vocals
The Mountain of Love, analogue terrorism, harmonica, jaws harp, vocals
Sir Real "Congaman" Love L.S.D. O.P.T., percussion, acoustic guitar
Mississippi Guitar Love, guitar
L.B. Dope, drums
The Spirit, keyboards
(5:16)

From Exile on Coldharbour Lane.


The first minute I watched The Sopranos, I knew I had to have this track.

The intro isn't on the version used on the show, and when I heard him refer to Charles Mingus's Epitaph, and Eric Dolphy and all the other name-checks, I knew I was in for something good.

The song is mysteriously threatening. It pumps up a cool, low-key energy that just never stops.

I wish HBO would release a version from the show. But, meanwhile, these guys did a pretty good job of copying it:

SoundZone69.

No comments:

Post a Comment

cmlxxxix. MARTIN, Joe: A Dream

 cmlxxxix. MARTIN, Joe (1970-       ) A Dream (2009) JM, bass Chris Potter, tenor saxophone Brad Mehldau, piano Marcus Gilmore, drums (9:19)