Friday, September 10, 2021

ix. THE BEACH BOYS: You Still Believe In Me

ix. THE BEACH BOYS

You Still Believe In Me (1966)
(2:37)




Composed by Brian Wilson (this is really his album, his brothers contributed harmony) and Tony Asher, who plucks piano strings in the intro (simulating a harpsichord), this song moved Paul McCartney to write:

"I love that melody. That kills me, that melody ... that's my favorite, I think. The way that's arranged, where it goes away very quietly. I was in the car, the other night, and I was telling the kids, saying, 'wait, wait, here it comes.' And then it comes back, and it's so beautiful right at the end, comes surging back in these multi-colored harmonies. Sends shivers up my spine. That's one of my favorite tracks."

No comments:

Post a Comment

cmlxxxix. MARTIN, Joe: A Dream

 cmlxxxix. MARTIN, Joe (1970-       ) A Dream (2009) JM, bass Chris Potter, tenor saxophone Brad Mehldau, piano Marcus Gilmore, drums (9:19)