Wednesday, December 8, 2021

xcviii. LANG, David: I Lie (from Soundtrack to The Great Beauty)

xcviii. LANG, David (1957-       )

I Lie (2014)
UCLA Early Music Ensemble
(5:15)

from Soundtrack to La Grande Bellezza (The Great Beauty)


Leyg ikh mir in bet arayn
Unlesh mir oys dos fayer
Kumen vet er haynt tsu mir
Der vos iz mire tayer
Banen loyfn tsvey a tog
Eyne kumt in ovnt
Khõher dos klingen Đ glin glin glon
Yo, er iz shoyn noent
Shtundn hot di nakht gor fil
Eyns der tsveyter triber
Eyne iz a fraye nor
Ven es kumt mayn liber
Ikh her men geyt, men klapt in tir,
Men ruft mikh on baym nomen
Ikh loyf arop a borvese
Yo! er iz gekumen!

I lie in bed and turn out the light
My beloved will come today
The trains come twice a day
One comes at night
Hear them clanging -- glin, glin, glon
Yes, he is near
The night has many hours
Each one sadder than the next
Only one is happy when my beloved comes
Someone comes, someone knocks someone calls my name
I turn out barefoot
Yes, he has come.

**

When I first heard this, watching the film, I had no idea it was in Yiddish; I thought it was Latin.

One of my favorite contemporary Italian films, The Great Beauty is just that. The beauty of nature, of friends, of growing old and still enjoying life ...

Watching a performance artist bloody her head on a Roman aqueduct (fake) ...

But most of all watching Jep Gambardella (Toni Servillo) -- a man in his 60s -- dancing the nights away, sparring with pseudo-intellectuals, and living La Vita Romana.

Love Sorrentino; the whole soundtrack is fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

cmlxxv. MITCHELL, Joni: Songs to Aging Children Come

cmlxxv. MITCHELL, Joni (1943-       ) Songs to Aging Children Come (1969) JM, guitar, vocals Stephen Stills, guitar, bass (3:10) Through th...