Monday, November 21, 2022

cdxlvi. BEATLES, THE: Not Guilty

cdxlvi. THE BEATLES

Not Guilty (1968)

Four versions

1. Esher demo (May 1968)
George, composer, all instruments
(3:05)











From a YouTube comment:

"Paul would never have wanted a good George song on the White Album. He'd have had to sacrifice space reserved for steaming piles of crap like Martha My Dear and Wild Honey Pie (seriously? Is there a worse song than that piece of shit in the entire Beatles catalog?)"

Disagree about Martha, but the poster is not far off about Wild Honey Pie.

Not Guilty is no masterpiece, but it would have easily fit into the eclectic assemblage that was The White Album.

Now that we've all seen The Beatles: Get Back (2021), it's certainly no secret that George was not a happy camper towards the end. The lyrics seem to refer to some tensions -- perhaps between George and Paul.

**

Not that the other guys weren't game to record the thing. In four days of Abbey Road sessions, they racked up an astonishing 102 takes! (Some were false starts, breakdowns, or rehearsals.)

The "waltz section" required careful attention. "Without the waltz, it's easier," said the composer. "Yeah, I always find that," John replied. Still, they kept at it.

**

It's still incredible to realize this was all done on just four tracks! Ken Scott mixed down two channels to allow for a more powerful lead vocal -- overdubbed on August 12th.

**

The red type is missing from Version #3.

The waltz bit is gone by 1979 when George re-recorded it for his own album.

**

Not guilty
For getting in your way
While you're trying to steal the day.
Not guilty
And I'm not here for the rest
I'm not trying to steal your vest.

I am not trying to be smart,
I only want what I can get.
I'm really sorry for your ageing head.
But like you heard me said:
Not guilty.

Not guilty
Of being on your street
Getting underneath your feet
Not guilty

No use handing me a writ.
While I'm trying to do my bit.

I don't expect to take your heart.
I only want what I can get.
I'm really sorry that you're underfed.
But like you heard me said:
Not guilty.

Not guilty
For looking like a freak,
Making friends with every Sikh.
Not guilty
For leading you astray
On the road to Mandalay.

I won't upset the apple cart.
I only want what I can get.
I'm really sorry that you've been misled.
But like you heard me said:
Not guilty.



No comments:

Post a Comment

cmlxxxix. MARTIN, Joe: A Dream

 cmlxxxix. MARTIN, Joe (1970-       ) A Dream (2009) JM, bass Chris Potter, tenor saxophone Brad Mehldau, piano Marcus Gilmore, drums (9:19)