Sunday, April 24, 2022

ccxxxv. CAPTAIN BEEFHEART: Beatle Bones 'N' Smokin' Stones

ccxxxv. CAPTAIN BEEFHEART (1941-2010)

Beatle Bones 'N' Smokin' Stones (1968)
CB, vocals, harmonica
Alex St. Clair, guitar
Jeff Cotton, guitar
Jerry Handley, bass
John French, drums
(3:23)


from Strictly Personal.


"I'll tell you one thing I didn't like -- The Beatles saying that they were going to 'turn you on.' I've never heard anything so ridiculous in all my life. No man or woman can turn another person on. The minute you hit the air you're on ... the idea of trying to turn someone on, that's the biggest concession stand I've ever heard." -- CB

**

Strictly Personal (original title: It Comes to You in a Plain Brown Wrapper) -- Beefheart's second album -- was eventually disowned by the Captain.

He claimed to have not known that producer Bob Krasnow was going to cover everything up with heavy phasing and reverb (accounts diverge on whether or not Beefheart was aware) ... but it still a great listen no matter what.

For years the lyrics were reproduced as "Strawberry Fields Forever."

Listen carefully: it's "Strawberry Feels Forever."

**

Beatle Bones 'n Smokin Stones
the dry sands fall
the strawberry mouth strawberry moth
strawberry caterpillar strawberry butterfly
strawberry feels
'n all the winged eels slither on the heels of today's children
strawberry feels forever

Yeah roosters oh glass roosters tend to your eggs
in a [...] clean white wood farmhouse
tractors are clawin, people are crawlin
Trees in a row, I'm in a coach and I approach
red blue yellow sunset
'n I've set 'n you've set 'n I've loved 'n you've loved
'n I've seen 'n you've seen
Chalk man has just made his mark and crumbled
the dark the light the dark the day
Porcelaine children see through white lights
so cracker bats
cheshire cats named the dark the light the dark the day
Blue veins through grey felt tomorrows
sail your sailboat, yellow feathered kind
blowin in from palms swayin in circles
red blue yellow sunset
well I've set 'n you've set 'n I've loved 'n you've loved
'n I saw 'n you saw
strawberry feels forever

No comments:

Post a Comment

cmlxxxix. MARTIN, Joe: A Dream

 cmlxxxix. MARTIN, Joe (1970-       ) A Dream (2009) JM, bass Chris Potter, tenor saxophone Brad Mehldau, piano Marcus Gilmore, drums (9:19)