Wednesday, March 9, 2022

clxxxix. LEONHART, Michael: Simon Says

clxxxix. LEONHART, Michael (1974-       )

Simon Says (1995)
ML, trumpet
Ari Ambrose, tenor saxophone
Joe Martin, bass
John Wilson, drums
(7:13)


from Aardvark Poses.


"Jazz to me can be creative or recreative, and there's an art to both ... I hear a lot of jazz now that's recreative. It still sounds great and I admire the chops involved and everything. But I'm interested in creating music ... improvised music. And with my own group, that's what I'm going to shoot for."


And at 21-years-old, the dude hit the target.

Son of famed bassist/composer Jay Leonhart, brother of the gorgeous Carolyn (backup singer for Steely Dan), Michael is a multiple-threat musician; he co-produced Donald Fagen's last album, Sunken Condos and plays just about every instrument (including drums) on it.

**

This -- Leonhart's debut album -- shows a kid with musical maturity beyond his years.

"When we play together it's like one voice ... I try not to tell the guys too much about the compositions. I want to keep things fairly open for them to interpret."

Wilson and Martin (see Post vii) burn on the bottom and Michael and Ari keep the pot boiling on top.

Simon Says dig it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

cmlxxxix. MARTIN, Joe: A Dream

 cmlxxxix. MARTIN, Joe (1970-       ) A Dream (2009) JM, bass Chris Potter, tenor saxophone Brad Mehldau, piano Marcus Gilmore, drums (9:19)