Thursday, March 23, 2023

dlxviii. CAPTAIN BEEFHEART: Hair Pie: Bake 1

dlxviii. CAPTAIN BEEFHEART (Don Van Vliet) (1941-2010)

Hair Pie: Bake 1 (1969)
CB, vocals, reeds
Drumbo, drums
Antennae Jimmy Semens, guitars
Zoot Horn Rollo, guitars
Rockette Morton, bass
The Mascara Snake, bass clarinet
(4:58)


from Trout Mask Replica


Matt Groening:

"I was fifteen. I thought this was the worst thing I'd ever heard. I said to myself, they're not even trying! It was just a sloppy cacophony. Then I listened to it a couple more times, because I couldn't believe Frank Zappa could do this to me -- and because a double album cost a lot of money. About the third time, I realised that they were doing it on purpose; they meant it to sound exactly this way. About the sixth or seventh time, it clicked in, and I thought it was the greatest album I'd ever heard."

A lot of us had a similar experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

cmlxxxix. MARTIN, Joe: A Dream

 cmlxxxix. MARTIN, Joe (1970-       ) A Dream (2009) JM, bass Chris Potter, tenor saxophone Brad Mehldau, piano Marcus Gilmore, drums (9:19)