Friday, February 17, 2023

dxxxiv. THE BEACH BOYS: Hang on to Your Ego

dxxxiv. THE BEACH BOYS

Hang on to Your Ego (1966)
Al Jardine, vocals
Mike Love, vocals
Brian Wilson, vocals, keyboards
Carl Wilson, vocals
Hal Blaine, tambourine
Glen Campbell, guitar, banjo
Barney Kessel, guitar
Al de Lory, tack piano
Steve Douglas, clarinet
Bobby Klein, clarinet
Jim Horn, alto flute
Paul Horn, alto flute
Larry Knechtel, organ
Jay Migliori, bass clarinet
Tommy Morgan, bass harmonica
Ray Pohlman, bass
Lyle Ritz, piano
Julius Wechter, timpani
(3:03)


from Pet Sounds


Peace & Love? Drop some acid, maybe?

Brian was on his own in the latter category. Co-writers Terry Sachen and Mike Love (Love had to sue to get songwriting credit) were not happy with the lyrics to the song. The whole "ego" thing had to go. BW agreed, and the lyrics and title were changed to "I Know There's an Answer" for the album, but the original version popped up on the 1990 CD release.

See what all the controversy was about. The changed lyrics are in bold:

I know so many people who
Think they can do it alone.
They isolate their heads
And stay to their safety zones

Now what can you tell them
And what can you say
That won't make them defensive

Hold on to your ego / I know there's an answer
Hold on, but I know that you're gonna lost the fight / I know now that I have to find myself

They come on like they're peaceful
But inside they're so uptight
They trip though their day
And waste all their thoughts at night
Now how can I say it / Now how can I come on
'Cause how can I come on when I know I'm guilty / And tell them the way that they could be better

Great bass harmonica solo by Morgan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

cmlxxxix. MARTIN, Joe: A Dream

 cmlxxxix. MARTIN, Joe (1970-       ) A Dream (2009) JM, bass Chris Potter, tenor saxophone Brad Mehldau, piano Marcus Gilmore, drums (9:19)