Thursday, November 3, 2022

cdxxviii. ZAPPA, Frank: Chunga's Revenge

cdxxviii. ZAPPA, Frank (1940-1993)

Chunga's Revenge (1970)
FZ, guitar
Ian Underwood, alto saxophone with wah-wah pedal
Aynsley Dunber, drums
Max Bennett, bass
Don "Sugarcane" Harris, organ
(6:15)


from: Chunga's Revenge


June 24, 1970. The Bailiffscourt Hotel in West Sussex, England. Phil Franks -- a photographer -- recalls the incident:

"By the time I'd got around to the other side of the building there were at least another six cameramen there in a circle around this poor guy, who had thought he'd just maybe enjoy his Remy Martin with some fresh air and bird-song in the garden.

He looked pretty unhappy about being followed out, and really wasn't into the idea of another 'photo-opportunity.' I was just focusing my portrait lens on him as he began to yawn, with my free eye I noticed the other guys lower their cameras ... he'd been giving out some pretty heavy vibes since we'd all cornered him again and I think these guys felt intimidated, and anyway, they just wanted the standard kinda image for their picture editors ...

When I saw that image in my view-finder it just screamed 'FRANK ZAPPA!' at me ..."

**

The industrial vacuum cleaner is an important motif in Zappa's Conceptual Continuity.

Solos: Ian on alto with wah-wah; Frank ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

cmlxxxix. MARTIN, Joe: A Dream

 cmlxxxix. MARTIN, Joe (1970-       ) A Dream (2009) JM, bass Chris Potter, tenor saxophone Brad Mehldau, piano Marcus Gilmore, drums (9:19)