Tuesday, October 25, 2022

cdxix. ZAPPA, Frank: Wonderful Wino

cdxix. ZAPPA, Frank (1940-1993)

Wonderful Wino (1976)
FZ, guitar, bass, keyboards, vocal
Ian Underwood, saxophone
Bruce Fowler, trombone
Sal Marquez, trumpet
(3:40)



studio recording: May 30 and June 1, 1973

**

FZ had an amazing capacity to completely forgive the most outrageous behavior towards his person, if he thought it might help him make good music.

Such is the case with one Jeff Simmons.

The 1970 Mothers (the "comedy" band) know they were going to play characters, based on their real-life selves, in the 200 Motels film.

For Simmons, it got a little too real, and he walked out, leaving FZ with a terrible problem. He not only had to replace a bass player, but a major character in the film.

True story: the band was sitting in a room bemoaning their fate, when Zappa said, "the next guy that walked through that door is going to play Jeff."

That would have been Martin Lickert, Ringo Starr's chaffeur. By a staggering coincidence, he actually played a little bass, and was perfect for playing the drug-addled Jeff (although Cal Schenkel's animation provided much of the action).

**

It was less than three years later than a rapproachement was effected. Not only did Zappa re-hire him for the '73 "Roxy" band, but he became one of the very few musicians to get a co-writing credit (this track). [George Duke was another, for Uncle Remus.]

**

L.A. in the summer of '69
I went downtown and bought me some wine
Oh, I drank it down under the table
I said, "Watch me now, I'm gonna eat the label!"
Well I'm a wino man
Don't you know I am?

36, 24, hips about 30
I seen a fine lady and I started talkin' dirty
Boy, she looked over at me and she raised her thumb
She said, "Jam down the road, you bum-ba-bum-bum"
I'm a wino man
Don't you know I am?

I went to the country
And while I was gone
I lost control of my body functions
On a roller-headed lady's front lawn
I'm so ashamed, but I'm a wino man
I can't help myself

I've been drinkin' all night till my eyes got red
Stumbled on the gutter and busted my head
Bugs in my zoot suit, been scratchin' like a dog
Can't stand no water and I stink like a hog
Give me a five-dollar bill
And an overcoat too
Give me a five-dollar bill
And an overcoat too
A five-dollar bill and an overcoat too
A five-dollar bill and a Florsheim shoe

No comments:

Post a Comment

cmlxxxix. MARTIN, Joe: A Dream

 cmlxxxix. MARTIN, Joe (1970-       ) A Dream (2009) JM, bass Chris Potter, tenor saxophone Brad Mehldau, piano Marcus Gilmore, drums (9:19)