Friday, April 15, 2022

ccxxvi. TUERFF, Tom: Baby Boomer

ccxxvi. TUERFF, Tom

Baby Boomer (2000)
TT, shabby guitar playing, questionable vocals, bongos and bodhran
Nancy L. Freeman, really spiffy backing vocals, percussion
(3:18)


from: Something to Sell at My Gigs.


Tom lives up the road apiece (Phoenix) and we traded CDs in 2000. I definitely got the better of the deal. His songs are uniformly hilarious -- I love the way he sets up an expected rhyme and then changes up on you -- and I love Nancy's parenthetical echoes ("let's not go there") ...

This one in particular is funny considering the approximate age we share:

**

It's Friday night again and here we are
I'm starin' at this girl across the bar
I only wish that she could see
I'm twice the man I was at 23

Sometimes I don't know why I bother
I'm old enough to be her

OLDER BROTHER

I ain't getting old
it's just a rumor
Thats what i've been told
Cuz I'm a baby boomer
Baby boomers never age
We just turn a page
Just turn a page
(ha ha ha stayin' alive)

High school reunion 20 years
(high school reunion 20 years)
The guys all look like Norm from Cheers
(they all look like Norm from Cheers)
Talked to some guy i didn't know
(I didn't know him either)
Still i tried to have a good time though

Well all the ladies i once lusted
had all gone gray and saggy-b
uuss ...

IN THE EYELIDS

And I ain't changed at all
Still have a sense of humor
I've been [...] a ball
Cuz i'm a baby boomer
And baby boomers don't go gray
Or go away
We don't go away
(Pray please go away)

Baby boomers invented youth
(Baby boomers invented youth)
Ask anyone of us its the truth
(Yes it is)

Baby boomers invented sex
(We invented sex)
Who knows what we'll think of next
(When will we have more sex?)

We all drank up that 60's cup
(We drank from that cup)
We ain't gonna give it up
When we were young we owned the land
(When we were young we owned the land)
Walked without sunscreen on the sand
(Walked without sunscreen on the sand)

Made love to everything that moved
(let's no go there)
Didn't matter, we were in the groove

Now by body has an answer
this mark upon my skin is ca ... ca ... ca ...

INTERESTING

It's a brand new mole
Can't be a tumor
That's what I've been told

Cuz I'm a baby boomer
And baby boomer's never die
We just deny
We just deny
We just deny

No comments:

Post a Comment

cmlxxxix. MARTIN, Joe: A Dream

 cmlxxxix. MARTIN, Joe (1970-       ) A Dream (2009) JM, bass Chris Potter, tenor saxophone Brad Mehldau, piano Marcus Gilmore, drums (9:19)